Monday 28 February 2011

Lucian Freud

Lucian Freud
Jack Fearn

Lucian Freud was on the 8th December 1922, in Austria but as a British citizen. He was most well known for his thick brush stroked portraits and his figure paintings. He was one of the best painters of his time. I think that he is a really good painter when you are looking at portrait artists because his style is unique and could be used for inspiration for others work.   
One of the paintings I like is called reflection which is a portrait of himself, it was done by acrylic paint. I really like this painting because it is of himself and normally people who paint themselves they paint it so they look beautiful but Lucian’s style isn’t like that he paints people how he sees them which I think is the best way to paint people.  I like how he has kept the colours neutral and has used his trade mark brush strokes.
Another favourite of mine is a pen drawing named Susanna, I really like his pen drawings because they are so life like, also the amount of detail he gets in the pictures is incredible. I really like the detail in the eyes and how life like they are.  Also I like how her hair glistens in the light, he does this by doing a series of strokes one way then and then a series of brush strokes the other way down from other to make a spot that is highlighted.
I also like a painting called ‘a man’s head, ‘ it is one of his earlier paintings of himself, it lacks slightly in detail but this is what I like about the painting, it is simple but effective.  I think that he used this painting for inspiration for ‘reflection’ because it is the same angle and the same medium.  

No comments:

Post a Comment